Sunday, June 6, 2010

Me-ouch!

Ever wondered what if feels like to arrange an IEP meeting? With only ten days left of the school, I can now almost laugh about this. I saw this clip at a conference a few years back, and it came to me as flashback moments ago, as I was banging my head against the wall. Again. I am so close to the finish line (10 days but who's counting), yet I've got a few more loose ends to tie up. Me and loose ends, we don't mesh. I am all about closure. When stuff hangs over my head, I just stress my stomach lining away until the issue is resolved. Now, with morning sickness in high gear, that same tummy tightness is only adding fuel to the guttural fire already ablaze. On average, I am running to the teacher's lounge several times during first period. Breakfast just doesn't want to stay in class (or in my stomach) these days.

As a parent going into my first ever annual IEP meeting (not including IFSP's) later this week, I will keep this mind. Hopefully, my experience on both sides of the table will remind me to be flexible and patient. I can sympathize. Been there. Done that. Wrangled up some cats.

Here's the saving grace... I work for an amazing district. My son couldn't be going into better hands. Our initial eligibility went incredibly well- we had a productive conversation, with input abound. But enough of the chit chat. Teachers, friends of teachers, and parents who work closely with teachers: watch the clip. Be prepared to laugh your buns off.

1 comment:

MK's Mom said...

I love it...I've herded a few in my life...both at school and at home! You can't enjoy teaching school if you don't have a sense of humor! The kids aren't always a laugh a minute...but they give you plenty of reasons to smile...and you certaily need them when facing endless meetings, reports and everthing else they throw at you!