Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Empowered

As I sat in pin-dropping silence with my 5th period class, I couldn't help but look over the heads of the transfixed teens- watching them lock on to some of the most powerful and encouraging words I have ever heard.  President Obama's eloquence, power, and grace took my breath away.  I only hope that my students will recognize a new world of possibilities that await them, that they will develop the courage to face difficult decisions with knowledge and patience, and that they believe in themselves and their talents.  

Originally, I wanted to be among the masses in D.C.  I thought the magic would be among the millions.  I was wrong; my classroom couldn't have been a better setting.  I saw history unfold with its intended audience, the next generation.  A generation given a charge, a mission, and a new hope.  What an awesome sight it was.  I watched the Inauguration with our future, the potential of our nation.  

Now we must wait and watch them fulfill the destiny- the destiny that was charted out on this electrified January day by a new voice, an empowered voice.  

No comments: