Monday, January 19, 2009

A Robert Frost kind of morning (minus the snow)




Taken from my front yard about an hour ago- the serenity is overwhelming.  I am home with Miles today, and we are celebrating MLK day with some MLK birthday cupcakes.  (Seriously, my family has baked birthday cakes for Dr. King since I was a wee one.  Strawberry cake at that.)  Dr. King is a personal hero, as is the man being sworn in tomorrow morning.  I am bursting with pride and excitement.  These are dark times in the education world.  Instructional positions are being cut, programs are being trimmed back or totally slashed- our budget is in the red.  President-elect Obama has said some very encouraging statements about making education a top priority.  Now there's a man after my own heart.  

Uncle Clark, along with a whole host of our extended family, is bundling up to brave the chilly air tomorrow in D.C.  I am all shades of green; I wish I could be there with my own little family.  As of now, we will snuggle in and watch a new era begin from our couch.  At least Miles voted.

This is a perfect morning for being reflective and patient.  Here's hoping that a snow day will let me stay home and cheer on the Inauguration.  Otherwise, I will being preparing for semester exams- of which I need to finish writing this morning.  So far, Miles (and all of the pre-Inauguration programming) is infinitely more entertaining than the 8 parts of speech.  That's a no brainer.

No comments: