Saturday, August 23, 2008

A Salon Experience

Had an uncomfortable questioned posed to me on Thursday from my new hairdresser. This was only visit number two. I am a glutton for punishment because I have left that salon looking like a Disney villain. Wild and bold highlights have twice render me into a cheap Cruella De Ville impersonator- but close enough to send my dogs running. However, she's a super nice lady who cuts curly hair quite well, and that is a skill hard to come by.

Anyways, during my marathon foiling appointment when chatted about our respective kids. I mentioned that Miles had recently had surgery. This lead to a conversation about congenital heart defects, and that led to Down Syndrome. She had so many questions, mostly benign in nature. And I didn't mind answering her questions, except for her final round. "So, what's your son's life expectancy? About how long to expect him to be around? What happens if you die first? Who will take care of Miles?"

A two ton conversational brick feel right it my lap. All the oxygen blew out of my lungs from the impact. And at emotional ground zero, the "life expectancy" question sat smoldering in my lap. I had several responses that quickly came to mind. Many of my imagined responses would have compromised the already questionable state of my hair care experience. The responses ranged from catty, indifferent , and obviously angry to non-confrontational and let's "hug it out." Remember that I am from Hopewell and that I keep it real.

The suspense must killing you right not- HOW DID I ANSWER THOSE QUESTIONS? With a simple- "I dunno." I really wish I had said more at the time because this conversation is haunting me. . .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If her skills as a hairdresser are only anywhere near as good as yours as a MOM - you must have gotten a pretty good "do"!

Cynthia said...

Well, she didn't ask the easy questions did she? Life expectancy with DS did used to be much shorter.... when people lived in institutions and when physicians refused to give proper treatment. Things have changed, but the stereotype of a short life still exists. So, Miles has a very good chance of as long a life as the rest of us, especially now that his heart is fixed.
Making sure your son is taken care of after you are gone...that is something we all have to deal with. A lot easier to do, if you have a good, supportive community that you are involved in.
That is for you. I'm still not sure what I'd say to her... wow. Put this in your "I can't believe someone said that" file.

Unknown said...

anna, don't sweat the "beauty school dropout". people in that profession love to gab about anything and everything. and you don't have to worry about her bringing it up again; especially if brangelina has a spat or twins before your next trim and dye. you've always got me if you need anything for you, jesse, or miles monkey man mania aka kilometers. love you like a sister, because you are.

Kit said...

I'm so proud to know both Anna and Clark.

Anna said...

Clark- You quoted Grease; I am impressed! Though I am worried you quote Rocky Horror some day- sorry for making you sit through all of my movies. I owe you about a hundred hours. . .