Monday, August 25, 2008

First Day Back to Work- A List of Confessions

1. I am jealous of Jesse. He and Miles apparently had an amazing, stress-free, and nap-filled day. Both were beaming as I walked in the door.

2. As I sat in an all-day longer training seminar, I probably caught every third word the presenter said. Where was I? Off dreaming in Milesland!

3. Did I miss my little man? More than any combination of words could express. Shameful that I can't share my feelings with you through interpretive dance- just don't have the proper technology or colorful scarfs.**

4. Did I miss my job and colleagues while on maternity leave? Absolutely! I was greeted my many hugs and words of encouragement this morning. Many folks from work have been following this blog, so they know how hard it is for me to leave home right now. They also know that Jesse will do an amazing job; we are quite lucky.

5. Any new ideas for reorganizing my classroom? Yep, I am going to put a pack 'n' play in the corner. Just kidding, but I did think about it.

6. Will going to work get any easier? That's what people say, and I hope they are right. Coming home and bursting out into tears certainly dampens the mood of a positive day. And that's what I did.

7. Why have a fuss fest? I got scared that Miles wouldn't recognize me. He didn't instantly smile when I walked in. I know the obvious response- he's an infant; give him a chance! I know, I know. . . Once I put him a recently borrowed doorway bouncer (for the first time ever) we were best friends again. I promise to snap some pictures of him hanging out, literally.

8. Gross but true, I actually imagined my umbilical cord stretching across town- from the conference site where I sat all day long back to my house. Many traffic tie-ups were caused; the evening news was alerted! I waste so much energy on these silly daydreams.

9. Still hung up on #6- I want Miles to get kisses all day long. I must ensure that Jesse knows the proper forehead smooch technique, but let's be honest. Nothing beats a Mommy kiss. Guess he'll have to wait until 5 just like Daddy!

10. My hair looked great today despite the awkward visit as mentioned yesterday. A good hair day always helps brighten my mood.

(**Scarfs or scarves- both were in the dictionary. Amazing that I cared enough to look it up. Look Ma'- I am trying to edit! Aren't you proud?)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once again, behind in my reading. I'm a bit surprised at the "Salon Experience". I suppose I shouldn't be...without meaning to, people come out with comments which can certainly throw us for a loop. In truth, I think you handled it well...honesty alway wins. Like you, thinking of what to say AFTER the fact seems to come naturally. Perhaps it's for the best. It probably keeps some relationships going which might otherwise be blown sky high in the heat of the moment.

All of your notes about your first day back to work...sound pretty normal to me. We all know that no love can compete with a mom's love. But how cool that Miles can get to know Jesse while he is in the Mr. Mom mode. Nothing like a little one-on-one...when there's on one else there to handle the feeding, burping, pooping, gurgling, laughing, crying, napping...this is a good thing!

You know what...I would have rather been home with Miles too!

You, Jesse and Miles are a cool threesome!

Anonymous said...

Your Mom will be proud..editing your spelling..you are back in the teacher mode already! Can't wait to see the pictures of Miles in the Johnny Jump-up, as they were called when I used one. It was my all time favorite to keep MK amused. We always said that is why she walks on her tiptoes..from so much time in the Johnny Jump -up.
Glad to hear Miles and Jesse had a great day....Maybe they watched poker or bowling on TV.

Kit said...

YES!