Friday, August 22, 2008

Apparently the sleep deprivation tank has been moved to my house, and I never signed a consent form.

Getting Miles to take a decent nap is near impossible; it is a complicated as putting together a jigsaw puzzle that is made of same colored feathers. Some times the feathers fit (defying conventional wisdom), and he takes a 2 hour nap. Most of the time you sneeze, sending the feather into space, thus Miles stay awake for hours. Very odd metaphor, I know. That's all my brain can conjure at the moment. When this kid blows through his nap times, there is heck to pay. Jekyll and Hyde- when Miles is rested, he is the sweetest baby on the block. When he is tired, he becomes a soccer hooligan looking for a post-game fight. More distressing than an all-decaf Starbucks menu. Rowdier than James Dickey and Ernest Hemingway fighting over the last beer in cooler, and you know that would be one big 'n' sloppy mess.

I should not complain too quickly seeing that he'll sleep through the night, 8 to 9 hours at a time, and do that 75% of the time. And if he does wake up, he'll quickly drain a bottle and head promptly back to dreamland. Lucky as we are- getting Miles to finally fall asleep at night is another tricky song and dance routine. If I miss that little yawn, his under-the-radar warning shot, we are in trouble. He's got the tiniest sleep window, and Miles can resist falling sleeping for up to 90 minutes. That's an hour and a half of solid screaming and crying. I have read so many books and articles that all have secrets tricks to teaching infants healthy sleeping habits and self-calming techniques. Their theories and methods are great for some families; they just don't work in my house. I have given most of them an honest try, with additional variations of scheduling and environmental adaptations. As of now, nothing trumps his sleep sack. We use these velcro sleep sacks that swaddle Miles ever so tightly. Swaddling has given us the best results. Miles sleeps much longer and sounder when I wrap him up like a baby burrito.

Jesse and I are worried that we'll be swaddling Miles until he is 16 years old. We recently shared a much needed giggle when Jesse described a teenage Miles having to be put to bed in a super small sleeping bag and packing tape. Oh, the extremes to which a parental mind will wander! Gotta love it.

1 comment:

Karen Getty said...

I know what you mean! I never thought Sonny would become a normal sleeper. I don't know much, but I do know that kids do things in their own time! Sonny is almost three and I still give him bottles b/c it ensures better sleep. Also, he's still not potty-trained. I dare someone to say something to me about that. He'll do it when he's ready. Miss you!