Thursday, August 21, 2008

Our Technologically Advanced Family Photo Album






UVA recently sent us copies of Miles' pre-op MRI and numerous post-op chest x-rays. The cardiologist gave us a funny look when Jesse asked for these files. Regardless, they arrived on three CDs, and we have been pouring over them all morning.

For the past month, I've been quasi joking that we will be framing all of our karyotypes as a family portrait. After looking at the slides from UVA, I remarked that none of Miles' school portraits will ever measure up to this. Hopefully, this post hasn't crossed into the land of TMI ("too much information"- an acronym I use constantly with my 8th graders). If medical images gross you out, then I apologize. We here at Chez Radiology find it absolutely amazing. How often do you get to closely study your child's heart??? I think I see "I heart Mommy" etched into one of those slides. . .This is just us living for the silver lining- again.

Quick explanation of what you are looking at- the top picture is a post-op chest x-ray. The bundle of wires in the lower right hand corner are chest wires which were connected to an external pacemakers. The tabs and clips are connected for EKG readings. The three lower slides are from the pre-op MRI study. Specifically, the radiologists were looking for evidence of right pulmonary stenosis, which Miles does in fact have. Some of those images are much more concentrated, zoomed in on the pulmonary arteries. I posted these broader scans because I can actually identify some of the parts. The more detailed slides just look like pasta noodles and jam to these very untrained eyes.

No comments: