Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Nitty Gritty, part 1

Okay- the events of March 6th & 7th are getting blurry in my mind. I better write down the details of "the big day" before it all congeals into one big happy memory. I'll start from the top.

3/6
-I leave work at 3:30- which is insanely early for me. I usually hang out until 5 or 6 doing random paperwork or answering 1,000 e-mails. But on this day- I just had to leave. One my way out of the building I told Sandi, our secretary, I was going home to curl up in my bathtub. I was feeling a little flu-like and craving BBQ potato chips. Something was awry.

-Instead of going home I head to Ukrop's grocery store and buy 2 huge bags of chips and some real dinner food for Jesse. I eat an entire bag on my 10 minute drive home, which will ultimately be an impulsive decision I will regret in approximately 6 hours.

-from 4:30 to 6 pm, I fold myself into a pretzel on our bed. I don't feel bad, but I certainly don't feel normal. I try to lose my concerns in reruns of "The Gilmore Girls."

-6:15, I think my water breaks. Funny thing, I was laying on Jesse's side of the bed- which is the side that I didn't add the water-proof padding- the padding I purchased to protect our mattress from amniotic fluid. Oops.

-6:16, a tiny bit of fluid- I decide to wait it out.

-6:30, Jesse arrives home, and I am pacing and leaking aroud the house. It is not as gross as it sounds. I tell him I think my water has broken. He makes me call the doctor.

-6:34, Dr. Keller, the same doc we wanted to deliver Miles and even offered her a bride to do so, wants to know if my water broke on purpose so she would get to deliver him. I tell her I was only jumping on the trampoline for exercise, and the cod liver smoothie is a longtime personal favorite. She laughs and tells me to pack my bags. She'll meet us at the hospital.

-6:45, I insist on driving to the hospital so Jesse can eat. However, I switch with Jesse before getting off of our block. I am really getting some Niagara action. In fact, I put the rubber floor mat on my seat to ensure our drive does not become the log flume ride.

-7:15, after being admitted, we learn that a) the water has definitely broken and b) I have only dilated a centimeter.

More details to follow. Miles is making some squeaking noises. Mommy must attend!

No comments: