Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Nitty Gritty, part 2

(Disclaimer: I am typing this with Miles in arms, so 'cuse an wacky typos.)

Okay, where did I leave off. . .
3/6

7:30 I waddle down to our new room. Waddle is the correct action verb because there is some major aquatic activity below, and any sudden motions could flood out the entire wing.

Our room is nice. The soap dispenser has broken off, resting on the counter. The fluorescent bulb flickers as those type pf bulbs flicker in slasher films. The thermostat is set to a snugglely 85 degrees. Ahhh. . .I am totally relaxed.

7:31 I hate the room, but I deal because my tiny contractions are starting to rise just a tad.

8:00 to 12:00- This block of time is a blur. We watched the contractions and heartbeats on the monitors. I signed numerous release forms. I got poked and prodded. The IV was traumatic, as usual. All the parents came back for a quick hello. Jesse and I were Lamaze champs. The contractions went from random intervals to a predictable 5 minutes apart. We did as many different laboring positions as the IV would allow. I draped over the back of the bed. I bounced on the birthing ball. I stood and swayed back and forth.

3/7 The fun begins!

12:00 to 12:45- I crawl over to the rocking chair. The rhythmic motions helped me through the contractions, which were now every 3 minuted apart. Prior to moving to the chair, I was dilated only 3 centimeters. I know Jesse was thankful that I finally asked for some Nubain at 12:45- a local pain killer. I needed to take a nap, and I was "squeezing the ever living crap" out of his hand. The Nubain worked quickly and effectively- as advertised in Lamaze class- something to take the edge off. I still felt every contraction, but I could take a minute nap in between each one.

1:45 The Nubain leaves as quickly as it arrived. I have now dilated to 5 centimeters. I finally get why some women want Epidurals. I wanted an Epidural. We consult Dr. Keller- she gives the okay. Now, we just have to find the anesthesiologist (Dr. Ball). Jesse races out to tell our parents they should go for the night- that it might be awhile before Miles arrives. Amazingly, they decide to wait since Jesse won't stay and chat. Parent intuition rocks!

1:46 Dr. Ball is at home walking his dogs. He'll be back shortly. I try not to get angry at the fellow dog owner. Luckily, the contractions have my full and undivided attention. In retrospect, I probably would have done better without the Nubain. I had zero transition time between the relaxed state and full blown minute-apart contractions.

2:00-2:45 Still looking for Dr. Ball. . .I am sitting on the side of my bed. Jesse is not allowed to touch me- too many sensations going on at once. They begin prepping me for the Epidural, though Dr. B is still AWOL. The likelihood of me taking a needle to the spine is looking bad- I cannot stop shaking and twisting. My legs are tapping a million miles a minutes. My torso looks like conch shell. There is no possible way Dr, Ball could give me the shot- even if he decided to show up- it would be like tyring to thread a needle while white water rafting. This analogy is important because the image that I held onto during each contraction was that of a big, icy, dark wave- a tsunami rising up to meet me in a pond-worthy dingy. I, without a life vest on, hunker in my dingy and watch each wave race toward me- every wave generating enough power to wipe out any island nation that stands in its path. Amazingly- I ride every wave for that 45 minutes. It was terrifying but absolutely thrilling. I have never experienced so much power coursing through my system. I remember feeling like I was glowing white hot- like a nuclear power Christmas light.

2:55 Dr. Ball arrives! I shout, "I need to push!" Dr. Ball turns and leaves. Gail, our most amazing and helpful nurse sends him to find Dr. Keller. Gail starts pressing ever call button she can find. No back-up arrives. I am ready to have this baby.

2:56 Gail checks my cervix and finds that I am now a full 10 centimeters dilated. This explains my black tsunami imagery- dilating 5 centimeters in 45 minutes! I am pleased that my pain was productive.

2:58 Dr. Keller and crew race in and prep the room for delivery. Lights are switched on. Scrubs are donned. The end of the bed is removed, and magically, stirrups arise! I again shout that I need to push.

3:00 Dr. Keller gives the green light for pushing. And with each contraction, I push with all of my soul. I push from my belly button to my toe nails. I squeeze muscles that don't even have names. My delivery team- Jess, Gail, and Dr. Keller count out seconds for me to push and offer words of encouragement.

3:03 Miles' head has crowned. Jesse squeals! I find new inspiration to push- my son is almost here.

3:05 Dr. Keller gives me oxygen because I am panting out of control. Lamaze has been replaced by something more primal.

My final push seems to last for 5 minutes. I grunt and groan- squeeze and writhe! Once his head is out, the rest races right behind. Miles shoots out me like the human cannonball act at the state fair.

3:07 Our son has his first breath of outside oxygen. I hear his tiny cry and watch as Jesse cuts the umbilical cord. He is crying. I am crying. Miles is crying. Our family has just been born.

As Dr. Keller leaves the room, Jesse stops her and gives her a hug. After he thanks her, she says moments like this are why she goes to work everyday.

Time is flying by now. Miles is over a week old. He has his first official doctor's appointment tomorrow. It will be a family affair. Jesse wouldn't miss it for the world.

I owe this page many pictures, and I promise they will come.

9 comments:

I'm Jennifer said...

and I'm crying too! what an amazing description of Miles' birth. I'm so proud of you and excited for the new Thomas family!

Val said...

Delurking to say congratulations! You are such a champ!

I'm a friend of Jennifer's, by the way =)

The Murphster said...

Anna, now that I've finished tear-jerking I can start. Let me think, was it you that talked about fear, mistakes, responsibility? Girl, please put this blog in the Miles Creation Bible. You are a beautiful writer. I can't wait until the next episode. You and Jesse are beautiful, creative, people. Now you will be beautiful, creative, Parents Extraordinaire! Just in case you become slackers, please give Miles my number:)

Kristin said...

Anna,
Congratulations on your beautiful baby boy! I loved reading your account of Miles' birth - you always were an awesome writer! I loved your analogy of the tsunami- so true!! Enjoy every moment- it is amazing how fast they grow.
Kristin

Kristin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristin said...

Sorry about the comment posted three times...not quite sure what happened there.

Flip! Photography said...

I'm tearing up...