Sunday, August 12, 2007

Fascist Fashions: Blatant Bilking of Moms-to-Be Must Stop!

My friend Erin and I went shopping today. Marshall's was having a pretty big sale, and I am needing larger waist sizes as the weeks pass. To my knowledge, Marshall's does not carry maternity clothing. However, you don't need that section because Juniors clothing has taken a turn for the tents (size wise). That's right, most of the tops in the teens' department could double as maternity clothing. There was a plethora of princess and empire waisted shirts, and most of the shirts hit at the top of my hips. What's going on? Has teen pregnancy risen to the point where it's now influencing fashion? I'm not complaining because I found some really cute stuff. It just seems a bit out of place. Furthermore, I am thankful that the bare midriff trend has gained some weight! I refuse to be pregnant and not stylish! I also refuse to be pregnantly stylish by paying retail costs of cute maternity clothing. I've seen great dresses with price tags around two hundred dollars. Just because my body is growing a new brain doesn't mean that I am losing the original one. Shame on the fashion industry for taking advantage of my teetering self-esteem and spend quick ways. I have to keep my wits about me, and my wallet hidden, when I see funky pregnant fashions. My advice to all hip mothers-to-be, do your clothing hunting in the Juniors department sales racks. Strike a blow for big belly fashion and reclaim those tops in our honor. Next, we must conquer diaper bags! Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Kit said...

I'm sure your diaper bag choice will be typically "Anna" -- which is to say, a bit unexpected among the fashionistas so busy telling parents-to-be what they should want and buy. Multi-purpose and gender-neutral are always good qualities in a bag.

I'm Jennifer said...

Lesportsac! If they weren't so dang expensive. But, I found some on ebay for much cheaper. Search "Lesportsac diaper bag", there are about 8-9 right now!

Anna said...

Jennifer- I am on my way to ebay right now!!!