Saturday, March 26, 2011

My Current Favorite Resources- Link Overload!

1. I've recently joined DownSyndrome.com. Looks like it will be a good hub for families and community members to meet and share info. If you are interesting in requesting membership, click here DownSyndrome.com

2. I love a good research site. This one is amazing! Down Syndrome Education Online maintains an academic integrity in their reporting and sharing, and I prefer to read clinical reports in their original format- too much is lost when others summarize. If you are a geek like me, then you'll like this site. Click here to see the most recent additions to their on-line publications.

3. My all-time favorite... ERIC online! You can search for anything education related- just make sure to set your search preferences to include "full journal" if you want to the article (as opposed to scoring it from an outside source). ERIC is great for looking into educational hot topics- behavioral research and applications where I spent most of last summer. Thanks to ERIC, I am a guru on token economies and why I will never use one again.

4. And of course... The National Down Syndrome Society. Got to love the NDSS. Click here to see Miles! (And you can vote for him... for what, I am not sure. But you can certainly "like" it for Fb.)

5. Last but not least, this is a link to a short but sweet article on Translocation. Miles has Translocation 21, 21. I might have mentioned this in the past, but our geneticist, Dr. Proud, wrote the article.

As you read it, you might wonder if either Jesse and I are carriers. As far as we know, neither of us are carriers- so we have an "unbalanced" situation. Shortly after Miles's diagnosis, we all had our karotypes completed. Some day I have frame them all and entitle it, "The World's Most Exact Family Portrait." Seriously, I've had this thought. I've also thought about outsourcing the project to this company. There is a website for every fancy.

No comments: