Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Dear Penelope,


My dearest daughter. I am beside myself with the knowledge that your arrival is rapidly approaching, like a hurtling meteor ripping through the cosmos, aiming its impact on some unsuspecting villagers. Your destination has been charted, but many of the preparations are still in the works. Frankly, everything is in the air- if you arrived tonight, you'd have to bunk with your brother for a bit. Technically, you've got clothes, and I've got the food portion covered, but that's it- except, of course, your future nightlight. (So you might want to pack a sleeping bag.)

It's plugged in tonight next to my bed; I needed to feel the security and comfort that a nightlight can bring. Your mom's having a rough night. There are so many stresses that I've encountered today, including flashbacks every five minutes to the fact that we've got a billion things to do before you arrive. At least the most important bases are covered- you've got my unconditional love and a really cool nightlight waiting for you.

This particular nightlight I found two weeks ago, and it had your name written all over it. Plugging it in, lighting it up, and watching the glitter flecks float about makes me feel instantly calmer. I also feel more desperate to finally meet you- to hold you, and to whisper to you how much your arrival means to me. All of that can wait, so tonight we will share your nightlight. And chances are we'll share a dream, too. You've been making cameos almost nightly during my sleep, so I feel like I already know you a bit. In my dreams I've held you. Tonight, I hope I dream of us watching the nightlight together.

Good night little one. My sweet 2.0. I love you!

2 comments:

MK's Mom said...

Wow...what a beautiful Thanksgiving message!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Anna, you can put your beautiful writing gift out there for the world to see. You were meant to be a mother. How blessed your children are. You and Jesse and amazing. Tears came to my eyes as I read this post.
ab