Friday, April 9, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me

Some observations on turning 30.

1. Nothing new hurt today. No new lines in the face appeared. One serious pillow crease freaked me out for about five minutes. I actually thought that the Wrinkle Fairy came and slapped my slumbering skull, but then a little cool water washed it away. Whew!

2. All I've heard are good things (thanks Erin and Lanaux) about the 30's, and I am inclined to believe the news. The 20's were rough. So much change and instability. I had no idea who I was or where I was headed. Not much has changed as of this morning, I am still a spaced out cadet looking for her satellite, but at least I have a reliable crew to join me on my life's mission. Miles and Jesse make excellent team mates.

3. My gift to myself: lighten up and accept mistakes. Yep, I'm really going to try hard and shed my perfectionism. If I haven't dropped the habit in a month, I will be furious with myself for not getting it right. Wrath and tears will ensue. Opps, wait. I can't do that anymore. The new, 30 year old me doesn't have room for that type-A b.s. Life is too darn short to stress about things that are out of my control, and it's too sweet to fret about things that I can control but don't need to. I am resurrecting a motto I coined in college. Now, you've all heard of "WWJD?", right? Well, I roll a bit differently. My motto is "WWFD?" "F" you ask- well, that's easy. I am referring to the band Foghat. "What would Foghat do?" The answer is: Slow ride, take it easy. And that is what I plan to do.

4. Major plans for this next decade? Well, given my new credo if chillaxin', I can't say for sure what will happen. I'd like to finish my master's degree. Seeing that I've now taken grad courses from three universities but have yet to commit to a program, I want to change that. Currently, I am finishing requirements for a teaching license, but after that, it's all fair game. I'd really like to pursue something akin to my undergraduate degree. I miss writing gonzo papers comparing Soviet propaganda to 50's sci-fi movies. Yep, W&M let me out doing academic stunts like that- and this is why I send then a contribution annually, to keep the LCST program going. Who needs an English degree when you can take seminars on nightmares and the New Yorker??? I also want to explore the option of writing for a living. That, to me, would be a sweet way of earning some cash. But what to say, what to say???

5. Last but not least... I am proud of my growth, from that wild child with the orange/blond/pink hair to wild teacher with the brown/orange/blond hair. Interestingly enough, I entered a ticket lottery not too long ago. A few years back, I was doing lotteries like this to get Phish tickets. This lottery is for tickets to Antiques Roadshow. Need I say more?

And one final parting shot, Jesse and I are making our triumphant return to the local mixed doubles tennis league. We haven't play competitively in 5 years, but that doesn't mean our thirst for victory has lessened with time. Okay, seriously... we haven't regularly hit a tennis ball in two years. I'm just praying we have fun and get a bit sweaty. If I make it through the season sans injury, that will be victory enough for me. Go Team Thomas!!!

1 comment:

MK's Mom said...

Once again...Happy Birthday! Keep on writing....you certainly have my vote on that! You have made me feel that I have been a part of your family through your words and pictures.