Friday, June 26, 2009

Summer School is in session!


Bearing with me...I'm writing this post with one eye. The other eye is spoken for, and it is glued to the reunion special for the NJ Housewives show. Wait, you lose the other eye for a moment because they are talking about the "book." If you know what I mean, then you'll understand why I need to step away for a minute.

Alright, my housewife fix has been met. Now to the week-in-review:

In five days, I have packed in nine months of time spent working away from Miles. Can I make up for lost time? Can I make up for tears shed when I first returned to work? Can I replace those pangs of guilt for missing out on so many baby "firsts"? You better believe that I will try. I packed so many activities that Miles is now more cultured than most pearls.

Locally, we hopped over the college's art museum, and took in a travelling Tiffany exhibit. Miles was impressed, and I left my name on a sticky note attached to the Poppy reading lamp. Mama wants it, bad. Miles saw his first Georgia O'Keeffe painting. He looked at it, and quietly asked, "Home?" Those of you who get that off-colored joke rest assured that I will incorporate her paintings into a very distant future lecture of the birds and bees.

The following day we trucked it over to Richmond to visit the Virginia Museum of Fine Art. Miles got to soak in the biggies: Degas, Renoir, Van Gogh, Picasso, Manet, Monet, Rousseau... OMG, I didn't know the extent of their Impressionist collection. I was breathless; Miles was hooting. By day two of our art tour, Miles learned that museums pack great echoes. The VMFA also houses an impressive Faberge exhibit; I made sure the little man's flailing limbs were on lock down as we zoomed through the room. The glistening eggs were a blur because I was so afraid Miles would fling a binkie, break the security glass, and blame the incident on me without a single hesitation- that he'd sell me out to the guards for a frosty bottle of soy and a tummy tickle.

Yesterday, we went to Miles' first-ever movie. Up got the honors, and what a sweet and endearing story. The only reason we had to leave early was that I drank too much soda, and he couldn't be trusted to sit quietly while I snuck out to the restroom. I tried to re-enter the theatre, but Miles wanted to announce our entrance like a ring master. We quickly did a U-turn and headed to the bookstore to unwind. I have no idea how the movie ends, but I am sure that the talking dogs got a few more laughs. I admit that the romance montage in the movie's beginning reduced me to sniffles. Luckily, Miles' head was close by so I could wipe my face on it.

Today, we visited the Virginia Living Museum. Fish, bats, snakes, Oh My! Miles was enthralled to the point of justifying the purchase a family pass. Now, we've got a full year of otters, bobcats, and raccoons to ogle from a safe, rabies-free setting. Above, you'll see Miles and the trout hanging out. I'm the lady in pink manning the camera phone.

Tomorrow, I will be handing Miles off to my folks for a bit. Uncle Clark and I are hitting the links. If it wasn't going to be as hot as Mars' armpit, I'd put his car seat in the golf cart. Perhaps this fall, Miles can become mommy's little caddy. Like I need an excuse to outfit him in orange plaid...

One last quick note, please pray that I don't succumb to the new Bravo! series "NYC Prep." Lord knows that watching that will only guarantee that my moral fiber will dissolve just a bit more, and I will fall behind on my Sookie Stackhouse novels.

1 comment:

Karen Getty said...

Once the Museum expansion is completed and ready for re-opening in May 2010, I would be more than happy to give Miles and fam a private tour!! It was great to see you last Wednesday! Miles is just as sweet and vivacious as I thought he would be. He'll be the most cultured kid on the block!