Monday, July 28, 2008

A Reflective Sunset

I just watched a beautiful sunset.  And as I the sun sank behind a blue, low-lying Virginia mountain, my mind was clear.  It's been over 2 months since I could enjoy something for longer than a minute without thinking about Miles' heart.  Though my worries are not all gone (are they ever as a parent???), I felt secure and grounded.  I am awash in a new sense of serenity.  My little boy is making great strides in his recovery, and his mother is loosening the knot in her stomach.  I don't know if I will ever be able to commit to words the true fear I felt on Friday.  Actually, it's doubtful that I have been completely honest with myself.  It's quite possible my rational brain switched off the moment I handed Miles over to the surgical team.  Deep thinking never helps my survival skills, and this has really tested my inner strength- more than I will know for a long time to come.  Chances are that this situation's intensity was (is) more than I could (can) handle.  Maybe I am only feeling what I need to feel right now.  I bet on our drive home, whenever that may be, a huge sob of relief, gratitude, and remnant fear will escape my mouth.  

These eyes are still fighting the urge to constantly well over.  Deep breath in.  Deep breath out.  I am still taking these days with one breath at a time.  

The Charlottesville sky is growing darker by the second.  Time to return to Miles' side, squeeze his little hand, and hug Jesse- my partner through this storm.  Goodnight beautiful sky and dear friends!  More words in the morning. . .

5 comments:

Cynthia said...

A beautiful post.

[[hugs]]

:o) mg said...

That is the peace of Christ settling into your soul.
Continued blessings...
:o) mg

Anonymous said...

Prayers continue...kiss his little hand for me. Little hands and oh so tiny finger nails always amaze me...he is God's gift to you and the world.

I've tried to leave a comment several times today. Either I'm very techno unsavvy or the messages are floating in cyberspace waiting to find a home. But I know the prayers are continuing!

Much Love...Ann B

Anonymous said...

What beautiful words! Your posts will be something for Miles to treasure forever.
PS. MK kept one of the 7 lava lamps she found while unearthing her closets in the move to give to Miles to entertain and relate stories to him in the years to come.

Flip! Photography said...

I just wanted to let you know that I'm checking in with your blog every day. I'm here with you. I love you. Hell, I named my business after you! But seriously, I wanted to say that I'm with you every step of the way. If you want to talk call. But if not - I'm still here. LOVE LOVE LOVE to you Jesse and Miles.