Friday, May 30, 2008

A Special Note

I got a letter from one of my student's yesterday. He had taken about a week to write it- working on drafts and having another teacher read it over. He wanted to write me because news of Miles is starting to reach the students. They were all so invested in the pregnancy-making me eat snacks, take breaks, and use the elevator instead of the stairs-though I think they just wanted to ride in the elevator. When this student heard about Miles' Down Syndrome, he asked his teacher about Down Syndrome and did research on the Internet. In his letter, he basically said he missed seeing me in school but knew I was happier at home and that that is where I needed to be right now. He also told me that my family is in his prayers and that my little "bundle of joy" would be fine. He chose decorative paper for the letter and took his time with his penmanship. The hugeness of his gesture is just hitting me. I have often wondered if I really make a difference with the students I work with, if I am really helping them. There is no real instant feedback in the classroom setting. Test scores only show part of the picture. I teach for academic and social success- the brain and the heart. Getting this letter has really moved me. Not only has this student made me feel successful as a teacher, but he has lifted my heart- a talent that many people never develop. His sensitivity is a real treasure. This student really cares about me, and his concern has just validated my last 3 years at my current school. I couldn't ask for anything more.

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

Miles is so beautiful!

I just found your blog. I have a seven year old son with Down syndrome. He is an awesome kid and has had a lot of impact on many people's lives. Ben had heart surgery at age 6 months for Tetralogy of Fallot. It was not easy to go through, but what a difference it made in his life and energy!

A book you may find helpful is Medical and Surgical Care For Children With Down Syndrome. Very helpful reference when you need to understand about something in particular (like heart surgery). I also recommend the American Heart Association's website, www.americanheart.org

I'll keep you in my prayers as you approach Miles's surgery.

Anna said...

Cynthia-

Thanks for your comment and support. I am going to look for that book as soon as I finish this reply! It sounds like a great resource, just like American Heart website. Right now, I am information hungry. We are trying to learn as much as possible. It's all the unknowns that are scary.

Take Care- Anna