Saturday, December 1, 2007

Mom to the Rescue!

My mother is my superhero. Forget capes and red tights, square jaws perched on mutant-human faces, and invisible flying jet-powered cars. Mom is all I need, and with the slightest hint of pain or despair in my voice, she braves the Route 5 traffic in her Prius (a truly heroic car). Today, she delivered grapefruit from my grandfather's yard in Florida, a quart of divine Brunswick stew from the Optimist Club, fresh greenery for holiday decorations, and soothing balm for my belly-aches. Her thoughtfulness leaves me in awe. For example, almost every day in college, I received in the mail a hand-painted postcard, with inspirational quote or message, from her. I saved every single card. She showed me unending love even when I was behaving in my most unlovable fashion. Just thinking about all the support and care I have received over the years from her is making my cry right now. Moms rule! And now, in about four months, I will have to morph from daughter to mother. That scares me, but I know that super grand mom will be there to help me. Actually, make that two super grand moms- because Jesse's mom is just as amazing and loving. This baby is so blessed! I just have to remember to keep my big girl britches on and keep in mind that a little one is now depending on me- just like I have depended on my mom.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think that is one of the most beautiful things I have ever read.

Anna said...

Jessica- Your mom is pretty special, too! I know how much she means to you. Watching you and her interact while we were roomies always made me homesick. Tell your mom I say HI when you talk to her! I love seeing your name on my blog!!