Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Blogging for DS- my 31 for 21

Another year is slinking by, and I forgot to do the 31 for 21 campaign. I love that DS blogging parents remember this and share their stories. I'm so wrapped up with maintaining our ground troops that I forgot to type while in the trenches.

So I'm going to make a list of 31 ways Down syndrome has impacted my life. This will be my 31 for 21; Lord knows when I will resurface again. Here goes...

1. Celebrate daily. For example, last week was the first time Miles specifically asked for "mommy hugs." I've waited 3.5 years to hear that; you better believe that was celebrated here.

2. Miles will always be a person first- there should be no label before his name. Ever.

3. Fight for what you believe in.

4. Let go of those things you cannot change- or just telling yourself that until you forget it all together.

5. Start early. Education begins at birth. (I read Miles a Kurt Vonnegut book in its entirety on his second day alive... Explains a lot, I think.)

6. Sign language is amazing. Sign language unlocks doors and opens minds.

7. Music is universal- just ask our tiny Smokey Robinson fan.

8. Lead with your heart, hope with your head, and hold hands when the going gets tough. Thank God for Team Milestones!

9. Believe in the power of praise. All kids like positive feedback.

10. When the going gets rough, tag team it. Know when to tap out and collect yourself.

11. Laughter will see you through. Same for coffee. Add in Thomas the Tank Engine toys.

12. Flashcards!!!!

13. Every moment is a teachable moment- from the grocery store to the doctor's office.

14. My son is braver than I am at times. Scratch that- mist of the time.

15. Breathing should never be underrated.

16. Playing together, having fun, and laughing is the best way to bond- kids know when you genuinely enjoy your time together.

17. OTs, PTs, and speech therapists hung the moon.

18. Heart surgeons and PICU staffers are my heroes.

19. Doctors, in general, don't like me. However, nurses love my son.

20. Know your rights.

21. Know how to ask for help.

22. Know that it is not your fault.

23. Know that you have to be honest with yourself, acknowledge your feelings, and be willing to share them.

24. Foster independence.

25. Socialize and Enrich- just like rinse and repeat... Should be done daily.

26. Hug it out- know that you and your partner will be facing some pretty big challenges.

27. Do your research.

28. Brag whenever possible because good news is always worth sharing.

29. Don't be afraid to speak up or speak out.

30. "Life is full of surprises" is truer than I first believed.

31. Down syndrome is only a tiny fraction of my son's life. DS doesn't define him. DS doesn't restrict our family. It is merely the spring board for the greatest period of growth and learning in my life, and it is simply the starting point of my son's amazing life adventure. "It is not a problem. It's an opportunity," once said a wise granddad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Anna, you are my hero. I am proud to know you and your beautiful family. And you take absolutely wonderful photos.