Friday, January 7, 2011

Navel Gazing and Whatnots

Admittedly, bringing home a second child is infinitely less daunting and stressful than the first round. Experience shows that babies are more resilient than they appear on first glance and hold. In fact, you learn quite quickly that they are mini-spitfires, chock full of loud sounds and potent powers. For example, my delicate flower of a daughter turns into a milk fiend, a roving and rooting lactose leech. And if the supply isn't ready, she turns into a banshee. And I mean that with all the love in my heart.

I have yet to call the 24 hour nurse line (a HUGE deal). I've only taken her temperature once. And I've only referenced the "What to Expect in First Month" chapter ten times (give or take another ten). Though I am concerned about her navel... the cord popped out on my finger two nights ago while changing her diaper. After my initial yetching reaction and squeal, I assessed the situation. Everything looks okay, but there was a little blood. And a little more dried blood this morning. I am trying to keep my cool and refrain from personally diagnosing her as having an umbilical hernia.

Penelope's still a mystery. Her schedule is not a schedule, and my attempt to make one keeps getting flung back in my face. For example, there is absolutely nothing soothing about the bathing process... yet. The moment her little tushy hits the bathing pad, she gives me an expression that reads, "What have you done??? I thought we were friends!"

(2010)

Miles took a while to warm-up to the notion of bathing. Let's take a quick peek in the past... Here's hoping Penelope become a water-baby like her big brother. Granted, he's a bit older in the picture below, but I am planning on sharing this with her as a form of positive visualization- Be one with the bath. Let it soothe you (so I can get some sleep).

(2008)






2 comments:

MK's Mom said...

Well, after all she is a girl and lots harder to please! The pictures are so cute! Just think if it snows next week, at least you don't have to go into labor!

Anna said...

Thank goodness on the "no labor" part! Though I am feeling awesome these days, I don't know if my labor partner is up to another round quite yet. Seems like I can be a bit of a handful when having a baby... : )