Sunday, October 10, 2010

Twain said it best...


"The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and lightning bug." -Mark Twain

Saw this quote on a People First handout, and I loved it. Still love it. I can't tell you how much it means to me when people say my child first and then list his disability secondly. He never has nor never will be a DS baby, Downs baby, DS kid, or DS adult. He has always been a person with Down syndrome. DS is only a fraction of the picture, and it will never be his main identifier. He's more of a son, grandson, friend, and soon-to-be big brother- and our language needs to reflect that. Words carry such weight and importance. As his mother, advocate, and unwavering admirer, I know how much unintentional language can sting. And this is a lesson I had to learn from experience. Now that I have this knowledge, I want to share it with you.

This is Disability Awareness month, so I encourage everyone to be aware of what you say- words are mirrors to our thoughts. When we limit our vocabulary, we limit our expectations.
PEOPLE FIRST!

Much love from Team Milestones!

p.s. 12 weeks to go until our newest member arrives!!!!

No comments: