Sunday, January 3, 2010

When reality comes a callin'

Today is my last day of winter break, and I am slowly coming to grips with that reality. Ironically, a major component of my job is assisting students with transitioning, and I truly struggle with it myself. Just when I have settled into the new routine of sleeping in late, not showering until noon, and feasting on cookies, the daily grind has reared its ugly, predictable head. And its return has left me bluer than Cookie Monster. The holidays typically run me through the emotion ringer, but this particular year has been more taxing than most- I guess because I've had some pretty special events occur. Unlike most folks (I assume), I do not easily swing back to center after exciting events. In fact, I tend to swing into the negative before centering- that's if I am ever in center to begin with.

The whirlwind associated with all of our traveling certainly left me disoriented. And oddly enough, watching all of Miles' progress (like the fact that he is walking!!!!!) is making me sad about spending more time away. I know I'm typing like I am being sent overseas, but when I am working, I miss a huge chunk kiddo's life. Huge. On a good day, I see him for four hours. With this in mind, I tried to soak up as much Miles time as I could over break, snag as many snuggles, power through numerous shoulder bites (goes with the turf now), and take a bazillion pictures. So that's what I did. I filled up my proverbial Miles tank; let's pray that it holds until Spring Break. That, my friends, is a long stretch of time.

One of the deposits I made into the mommy memory bank.

No comments: