Friday, November 13, 2009

Q: Why am I typing this from home, at 9am , on a school day?

A: The Atlantic Assault!

Read all about it here. Rarely have I, as an over-worked under-relaxed teacher, gotten a snow day. Never, until today, have I gotten a rain day. We dismissed early yesterday because our river-front communities were starting to flood. Thankfully, I packed my grade book and lesson plan materials- though I did this cautiously because taking home essential materials is a fast way to jinx a school cancellation.

Note, this closing is a little scarier than your traditional snow day. Our county has some very low lying lands, and many housing communities have popped up along the shores. I am worried about the folks back there, especially since the county has now opened up emergency shelters and are providing aide.

Reports are stating that the water levels are very close to that of Hurricane Isabel, and the Weather Channel has been showing non-stop coverage of the damage done in the Outer Banks- where we were last weekend for the reunion. Apparently, the dunes are gone; numerous houses are expected to fall into the water.

On a happier note, how did I celebrate the chance to sleep in? By taking the time to make Miles and me real grits! (With real cheese- sorry dairy-free diet. Grits just have to have some cheddah cheese added.) Yummy.

No comments: