Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Goodbye, Mag-pie.

This breaks my heart.

Maggie, my parent's dog, was more like a sibling. She filled the empty nest; she gave unconditional love; she could sit like a penguin. Occasionally, Maggie would spend long weekends at our house, snuggling with Liloo, and using my head as her pillow. Never have I encountered a sweeter, kinder, and more loyal animal.

Last night, Mag-pie passed away. She has been battling cancer for some time now, and the fight had really taken a toll. I take some comfort in knowing that she is no longer suffering; however, my eyes are welling over because I already miss her so much. Maggie was never a pet; she was family.

So for one last time I will say, "Stairs, Maggie!" and imagine her tank-like body shimmying up the staircase to wait for her beloved leash. More than anything, she loved going on trips. To get through this morning, I will imagine that Maggie, as part of her life's journey, has continued on to her next big adventure. Goodbye, Mag-pie.

1 comment:

I'm Jennifer said...

What a difficult loss to have to endure. My heart and prayers go out to your and your family.