Sunday, March 22, 2009

Miles does his Linda Blair impersonation w/o the green pea soup

Last night was terrible, just plain awful.  Around 9:30, Miles woke up screaming.  From that point on, he proceeded to vomit for the next 5 hours.  At first, the "gastrointestinal pyrotechnics" occurred every 20 minutes.  Eventually, it tapered off to every 45 minutes- giving him and us tiny naps in between each round.  In all of his 13 months on planet Earth, the kid had never truly thrown up.  Sure, there was some hellish spit-up bouts, but that was GI related.  What we experienced last night was a true yack attack, and it was gross.  I don't know what was nastier- watching my bathroom and hallway getting doused in quasi-digested jarred turkey or fighting to keep the dogs off of clean-up duty. 

By 4 am, Miles was able to settle down for some decent sleep.  Jesse crawled into our bed, and I hunkered down next to the crib on a camping mat.  The nurse-line was of absolute zero help.  The on-call nurse instructed me to call back if the vomit started to look like mucus and/or bile.  Well, 45 minutes later, I called her back stating we just reached that point, and she actually asked why I called her back.  Hulk getting angry!  Calmly, I reminded her of the earlier instructions, and her response was to push the call-back criteria back a little further.  Call back if he starts acting like he doesn't recognize you, or he starts to hold his stomach.  Seriously, that's what she said.  I knew her resourcefulness ended there.

We just toughed it out.  And don't you know it, Miles woke up all smiles this morning.  Looks like he got all of the demons out, that he fully exorcised whatever devil was lurking in his tum-tums.  A light breakfast of pedialite has remained inside, as has his bland lunch of an oatmeal-like paste.  His main objective is to get back to playing; Jesse and I are still trying to catch our collective breaths and silently hoping that tonight is way less eventful.

As for causes of the tummy eruption, we haven't a clue what the catalyst was.  I did switch brands of soy milk- went to an organic brand.  I'm scared to give it to him today, just in case. 

No comments: