Sunday, October 5, 2008

What a difference a little OT makes!





Currently, Miles receives 45 minutes a week of in-home OT services.  Our service provider is fantastic and pushes Miles without frustrating him.  Each week she gives us new skills to focus on- like mini-task analysis steps that will help him reach his 6 month goals of sitting unassisted while playing with toys.  His progress, so far, has been great.  Oddly enough, Miles did lose a few skills since the surgery, but he has progressed beyond the loses.  For example, Miles will not roll from his tummy to his back.  He'll start to roll (in an effort to snatch a toy or look at a face), but then he'll realize that he is turning and will stop and twist back to his tummy.  He had these rolls down solid prior to the heart surgery- and he was only 4 months old.  The weird part is that he can roll from his back to his tummy without help.  That movement requires a lot more coordination and strength- so why has he given up on the tummy roll?  He still likes tummy time, but he will "correct" himself is he starts to roll.  Strange.  Additionally, before having the surgery- he had many more vowel sounds mastered.  Now, he is fixated on making gurgling (like pronouncing "r" in French) and hissing sounds.  Sometimes he sounds like a car in second gear that's doing 45 mph.  We did get out first "official" raspberry sound this week.  I say "official" because he's been doing for a while, but only when mad- there's a sputtering phase before the crying sets in.  Oh, another unusual development- he is sleeping on his side- while still secured in the swaddle bag.  He looks like a Glo-Worm on the go when he flip flops around.  I think the days of swaddling are numbered.

I have now officially blogged my morning away.  My poor coffee is feeling neglected, and the laptop is getting nuclear hot.  Time to unplug!  Y'all have a great week.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Anna-I check in from time to time. Mason did the same thing --he mastered tummy to back than did back to tummy and it seemed somewhere along the way he forgot how to do tummy to back. It was driving me crazy because he does it in his sleep and starts crying. So I googled some stuff about it and learned that sometimes babies seem to have forgotten something they've mastered because they are working hard on mastering something else. Miles is just moving on to bigger and better things!

Amy Hibbard

Amber Turner said...

Hey Anna! I too, have read the exact same thing...that babies will learn something, then seem to "forget" it b/c they are learning other new, different stuff and it is like "overload"! And, sooo funny you mention the gurgling/hissing sounds...Kenden TOTALLY used to do the exact same thing (I called it growling...I used to sing songs that I'd made up to him about being a mad, growling baby!). He would growl and growl...I would drive to the gym, which is almost 30 minutes away, and he would do it the whole time! I would be driving and laughing...I am sure people thought I was nuts. I have loved seeing these new pics and updates! Miles is adorable as always!! Amber