Sunday, August 17, 2008

Road Trippin'

To fight the summer long cabin fever, Miles has been hitting the open highway. Plenty of booster seats are used to ensure he can see clearly over the steering wheel- safety first! Actually, it's more like the family unit has been cruising back country Virginia roads.

Yesterday, we visited grandparents, great aunts and a great uncle in Mathews, about an hour away. Then we swung by a party in Gloucester, where craw fish were the main event. Miles passed on the craw daddies- maybe next year. Today, Miles and I trucked on over to Charles City, about 40 minutes from home, to visit with our auntie MK and her mom. MK and I go waaaaaay back, like when New Kids on the Block were cool. At least cool to a 12 year old girl. . .anyways, she is like a sister. So Miles is like a nephew. Thus- we needed to pay a long overdue visit.

I'm not counting our trip to the UVA hospital as vacation time. Granted, it was time (and money) very well spent, but zero relaxation occurred. Sadly, my maternity leave is up in a week, so I've been itching to get outside. A huge perk of being a school teacher is kicking your heels in the warm months. No stretching back this year, but trust me- we are having an extravaganza of a vacay next summer. In fact, Jesse and I have decided to mark July 25 as a permanent family holiday, Miles' surgery date. This day will forever mark Miles' transformation- our transformation, a day when all of our hearts were healed. I don't know exactly what the celebration will entail- streamers, cake, beaches, hot air balloons, passports. . . Frankly, it doesn't matter. I celebrate the events of that day every time I kiss his healthy forehead, hold his strong hand, and look into his happy eyes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pictures are so sweet. Thanks so much for sharing Miles with us yesterday...we had such fun!

Flip! Photography said...

trip on down to Athens GA!