Saturday, July 26, 2008

Another Amazing Day

Last night Miles' breathing tube was removed- around 11.  This happened well before it was expected.  Initially we were told to expect to have him on a respirator for several days following the surgery.  But our Boy Wonder had different plans; he was ready to breathe on his own.  

In fact, our biggest concern of late is that he is too wake and alert.  He needs to be calmer and rest more.  When Jesse and I arrived bedside this morning, we were greeted with tales of our son's late night hi-jinx.  He had to be sedated with several different medications of increasing degrees of strength, and his hands were "gloved" (covered with socks) to keep him from pulling out his IVs.  A quick side note, the socks in question are those infamous hospital socks with the rubber tread strips on the bottom.  These socks are sized for infants, little people too young to walk, too young to require anti-slipping protection for the walking they are not doing.  Another one of life's mysteries.  Back Miles' need for multiple sedatives, the night nurse said our son was "no cheap drunk."  Ha!  I love it- what a straight forward analogy.  Miles was ready for action not 12 hours after having open heart surgery.  

I fed Miles several bottles today- watching that Similac Advanced disappear brought me several moments of Zen!  Joy aside, feeding him is a bit scary.  Our man is still hooked up with many wires and tubes.  To feed him, I have to use one arm to prop his body up and another arm to steady the bottle- while he remains seated in his bed and me perched on the side.  Burping is even more nefarious.  Both arms are on his back.  One arm steadies and elevates his back; the other arm is there to lightly tap out the air bubbles.  I barely hit his back; I am afraid of hurting him.  Keeping food dribbles off of his bandaging is also difficult.  Miles is slurping down the formula faster than it can flow.  Excess gulps trickle down his chin(s) and race toward his chest area.  If I am doing the feeding, Jesse is on facial mopping duty.  Jesse thinks we are on a work payment plan- we have to do some of the required duties to off-set the huge bill heading our way.  We are even changing his diapers now!  Days of full-service hospitals stays are long gone. 

Miles also tested our maturity level tonight.  As expected, Jesse and I still get our jollies from adolescent humor.  Specifically, as we were reviewing his current medication usage with the night nurse, Miles started passing the loudest gas.  Not mere toots, this boy had hidden a foghorn in his diaper.  As the nurse went into a speech about chloral hydrate, Miles provided the background music a la his bun's bass.  Jesse and I suppressed some serious giggles and avoided eye contact until Miles' guttural symphony subsided.  I think Jesse was proud.

We are all doing fantastic.  I haven't more relieved about anything in my entire life.  As we left the hospital for the night, I cried because I was so happy.  I still feel the same, even though leaving for the night is near impossible.  Jesse and I are like gum on the bottom of shoes- we stick to his side during the day.  As soon as Miles gets a private room we plan being present on a 24-hour basis, with us rotating night shifts.  But for now, we know he needs his rest.  Here's hoping the staff will help him get some rest tonight!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Anna, Jesse & Miles -

I'm so happy that all went so well. I'm not the least bit surprised at Miles' resilience nor am I surprised at his capability for "holding his liquor." He is a product of his parents! I love you all, and I can't wait to meet the little man. Please know how much I think about you all.

~ Courtney

Unknown said...

I'm so happy to hear he is doing well! We'll continue to send positive thoughts into the universe for your little man!

Amy Hibbard

Cynthia said...

Miles is making an amazing recovery! I remember Ben had to have a lot of morphine to be effective. It was a bit scary to see my little baby with all the tubes, lines and fresh scars wide awake and trying to do something about ridding himself of his new accessories. Ben was on his vent for 5 days. I am so impressed with Miles getting off his vent so soon!
We were "velcro" parents, too. We took shifts to make sure we both had sleep.
You guys are doing great! Make sure you sleep enough, you will need it because he is going to be so ready for action soon!