Thursday, July 24, 2008

Acceptable Risk

Today was the hardest day of my life.  And oddly enough, I find comfort in the knowledge that it have not have this status tomorrow.  For tomorrow will be infinitely more difficult than today.  Weird- I know, but I will take comfort where I can find it.  At least today, we can relax a bit, laugh, and stay in our little bubble. . . I entitled this entry after the discussion we had with the surgeon's assistant earlier this afternoon.  We had to sign several consent forms- forms that covered the risks involved in tomorrow's procedure.  I think we knew what to expect, but hearing it in person takes it to a whole new and unwanted level.  No parent should ever have to hear this news.  Low percentages and good odds sugar coat nothing.  I wish to God that it did.  Feels like my optimism stayed behind in Williamsburg.  I didn't cry until after the assistant left the room.  Why I have to act brave in front of strangers is still a mystery- for my eyes ultimately deceive my act.  She repeatedly stopped and asked if I was okay.  At least I didn't lie- I said no.  But who would be okay at a time like this? 

She was very straight forward, and I appreciated her candidness.  What a job she has, to review this information with different parents on a daily basis.  How do you share these kind of statistics with petrified people?  Well, she does, and she did.  

We have two major hurdles to clear tomorrow, aside from the surgery itself.  First, there is a 5% chance that Miles' natural pacemaker (nerves that carry the electrical impulse that make his heart beat) could be nicked while stitching in the patch.  If this happens, Miles will be given a pacemaker, which will be implanted several days following this surgery.   His dependency on the pacemaker would be unknown until he has fully recovered from the first surgery.  Secondly, his heart and lungs will have to start working on their own; these functions will be externally controlled during the entire procedure and for sometime following.  He will be on a ventilator and a "heart and lung machine."  The ventilator will be in place for several days post-op, mainly while he recovers in the PICU (pediatric ICU).  Since this is by-pass surgery, his heart basically stops functioning, and all of the blood is removed.  The "heart-lung" machine will do the work for him.  If all goes well, that machine will be removed.  And if he regains his strength, the ventilator is then taken out, and he will breathe on his own.  

Another obvious risk is the big "D."  Jesse and I have been thinking about this outcome separately, prior to our meeting today.  But we have not openly shared our thoughts on the matter.  It's as if talking about "D" will make it a viable possibility.  I won't even type out the word in this forum- for it is too close and too real.    

I felt sick to my stomach hearing the risks.  I feel sick again writing it.  But as my title indicates, we have no other options.  And this operation needs to happen now, or so says the surgical team and attending cardiologists.  Jesse and I also want this operation for Miles- and we are very lucky that it is available so close to our home.  We mainly want the operation to simply make Miles becomes stronger and live longer.   

The doctors and nurses encouraged us to get some sleep tonight; I fear that my dreams will be about life-support machines.  Or maybe I will stay awake just to listen to my son breathe, which is turning out to be a precious and endangered activity.  

Upon leaving the hospital, Jesse and I made a pact- once we get through Miles' surgery and recovery, our goal is to give him the happiest and most comfortable life possible.  His tiny body will be encumbered by countless wires, plugs, stitches and tubes- a situation unfortunate for any child.  By the end of tomorrow afternoon, Miles will have experienced a life more difficult than most adults ever do.  We are in accord that this will be enough stress to last us all for a lifetime.    

I ask that tonight, you continue to hold us in your prayers. And again, tomorrow at 9 a.m- the time we turn Miles over to surgical team.  Every one's love and support has meant the world to us.   Your strength has given me strength.  Thank you.

9 comments:

Cynthia said...

Absolutely, you are all in my prayers tonight and as long as you need them. Do you mind if I post on my blog, asking for more prayers for you?
This is a hard night for you and will be hard tomorrow when you say "see you soon". It may be a little while before you get to hold and cuddle Miles, so get your fix, now! When you get to hold him again, it will be amazing for both of you. My Ben started to heal so much faster after that point. It is certainly the best moment that stands out for me.
Praying for rest for you, peace during your wait and an uneventful successful surgery tomorrow.

:o) mg said...

You have been in my thoughts and prayers all week. I will continue. Breathe in the peace of Christ. Let it fill your soul. This is the stuff from which character is built.
Gentle hugs for sweet Miles.

Anna said...

Cynthia- I would love a link to your blog. I am very thankful to have your perspective on our situation. You make me feel less alone, and that is a huge gift. Thank you!!!

-Anna

Anna said...

:o)mg- When Miles wakes from his nap, I will give him a gentle hug from you!

Karen Getty said...

My thoughts are with you. Just be strong and it will all be over soon. You, Jesse, and Miles can do it! Kisses for all of you.

Anonymous said...

I'm wondering where in the process everyone is right now. I'm thinking about you and Jesse and precious Miles and praying hard. This is hard for you all...harder than anything I've ever had to do in my whole life, but you're so right: Thank God these procedures are available to make Miles' heart strong.
There is so much love surrounding you.
Annelle

Anonymous said...

You, Miles and Jesse are in my prayers. You are all being so brave - Miles couldn't have been born to more caring, loving and deserving parents. God knew what he was doing when he gave this special little boy to you.

Unknown said...

Anna, Jesse and Miles-Leslie gave me this link a long time ago and I've been keeping up with you guys here and there. Your family is in Mark and I's thoughts right now. Hopefully very soon we'll get to meet Miles (well I met him at breastfeeding support, but that doesn't really count). Thinking of you guys today.

Amy Hibbard

Becki Williams Vasquez said...

From the person who always runs away from scary things, I wish I was there with you.

Kiss Miles and hug Jesse.

My thoughts are with you.

Love!
Becks