Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Go Big Blue- but wait for me!

I am very bummed that Miles' surgery is falling on July 25th. Aside from the catastrophic event of having my child undergo open-heart surgery, I will be missing my 10 Year High School reunion. While I sweat things out in C'ville, part of my heart will be in Hopewell with my many beloved friends as they relive years of adventures over the cash bar at Dockside Restaurant. Guys, we really should have held it at Waffle House or Denny's- to be true to form! For starters, I loved high school. Honest, I loved high school way more than college. Better people, better music, better parties! In fact, of the 6 people I keep in contact from W&M, 3 of the 6 also came from Hopewell. Go figure.
The class of '98 from Hopewell High School was a rare breed. We were wild, sarcastic, hilarious, rowdy, combative at times (me included), quite intelligent, loyal, and fiercely proud of our town. Heaven forbid is you attended Thomas Dale (the true enemy), Colonial Heights (the snobs), or Prince George (our frenemy). Now, when I write that I miss high school I do so with rose colored contacts shoved into my eyes because 10 years back I couldn't wait to blow that pop stand. And it's true, you can never really go back home- since you change, the town changes, and the pieces never quite realign as before. I have a bit of a Twilight Zone tingle when I drive past ol' HHS- especially since I almost took a teaching position there 2 years ago. But missing the reunion means missing my friends I haven't seen in years- some even 10 years have passed. Man, I was really looking forward to retelling some of triumphs, escapades, heartbreaks, and catching up with some of the greatest people I have ever met. I stink at keeping in touch with people, but I want all the '98ers to know that I think of them often. All my girls from the tennis and soccer teams, my friends who date back the elementary school and even daycare (Hi, Wesley), my lifelong friends how have reached out to me lately- I mean, folks I haven't hung out with in years are sending their love and support to my family. They already love Miles, and they haven't met him. So on the night of July 26th, I need the following stories retold in my absence:


1. The leadership conference in Va Beach- Monkey, that teacher in her teddy, where I wore the balloons on the ride home, saving Angela's lip smackers from the hotel roof. . .

2. The senior trip- esp. the possessed pinball machine and the 20 hours on the bus

3. Mr. Fitch getting Flo-Be haircuts

4. Mr. Mac and his cats

5. The time Jennifer tried to convince Kristin Royster and me to steal the soccer bus at the Varina game

6. Every time we told our parents we were going bowling (Hi Mom and Dad!)

7. Riding around listening to Wu-Tang- every weekend

8. 80's day at tennis practice

9. "Go Netta"- Jennifer, that is especially for you!

10. senior year breakfast club- best reason to have study hall

11. Our last day school, when we ditched classes, and I got stuck in the display case on the Voc/Tech hallway, and we took pictures in Mr. Denzler's Jeep and in the back of Coach Henderson's truck

12. Oh- our awesome ice cream lady who made the homemade peanut butter sauce

13. When we all caught pageant fever- 11th grade

14. Mrs. Bell's class- and how the drug search dogs would always poop outside of her door

15. Going to visit Mr. Whip after hanging out at Klingman's house

16. Any every whack experience from Cater Woodson- especially our Earth Science teacher showing us "The Ring of Fire" 27 times and her inability to say "nickles" without sounding like a body part

17. Mr. Jones as the over-enthusiastic soccer coach and Coach K as the coach who wanted me dead

18. While driving Stuart to school one morning, I saw a UFO over the James River. He didn't see it so he can't vouch for me- but it's true!!


And on, and on- if you were there in '98, post your memories below!! I am craving nostalgia; I am jonesin' for a HHS flashback!


Aside from this never-ending list of highlights (ESPN 4 eat your heart out), I have billions of memories that happened on a much smaller scale, but will remain with me forever. I love you all, and you have no idea how sad I am to be missing our reunion. I hope we can have another get-together before we reach our 25th anniversary.

5 comments:

I'm Jennifer said...

I'm crying. I'm laughing so hysterically , I'm crying. oh, man, the teacher in her teddy, what was she thinking?! thank goodness you guy's had better sense than me and didn't steal the bus. i certainly wouldn't have gotten into college with grand larceny on my record. aww geez, the memories. what a great time.

Kit said...

Has anyone sent this to John Denzler and Gayle Keith? They would absolutely love it!

Anonymous said...

Anna, you have such a way with words! I saw Mr. Fitch running the other day - shirtless...."Golden Boy" (as Mr. Whip would say) is looking pretty good. I hope he doesn't read this! I'd be happy to make a special trip to you to conjure up the glory days any time you're feeling up to it!!

Anonymous said...

Ack! I just typed out a long comment, and it got eaten!

Ok, I'll try to sum up, lol. I love your blog, Miles is adorable. I'll be keeping him in my prayers.

I won't be at the reunion either. Gas is to expensive, and we live in NH. There is no way we could afford a trip down right now. I'm sad about it, but hey, there's always the 20 year reunion, right? And at least we have Facebook and Myspace. It's like a mini internet reunion. :P

As for memories, let's see what I can remember from my last try:

*Freshman year, when I wanted to show my school spirit for our first pep rally and I wrote SHH on my forehead (I'm still embarrassed about that one)

*Pink Shirt Thursdays and the word facetious (the only things I remember from Mr. Hayes chemistry class)

*Mr. Mac allowing me to turn in a paper comparing Hamlet to a Beatles song (I think it was Within You Without You)

*Madam An always bellowing, "You are so STUPAAD!"

*Singing the Alma Mater on the way home from tennis matches, and touching a screw whenever we went over railroad tracks.

And oh so much more. High school was so much fun.

Angela said...

We'll definitely miss you at the reunion! Now in response to your memories...
1. Whenever I heard Build Me Up Buttercup, I think of you guys.

3. I had a little crush on Mr. Fitch...Flo-Be or not.

7. That makes me think of our boys and their rapping sessions.

10. Breakfast and watching Jenny Jones....what a great morning!

11. We also took pictures in the boys bathroom and on top of the lunch tables.

15. I remember Mrs. Whip wanted to invite us in and Mr. Whip with a look of horror on his face.

17. Ahhh...Coach K really killed my love of soccer. To this day, I have no idea why she hated me so much.