Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Moving Foward

I met with a representative with Child Development Resources today. She paid Miles and me a home visit, which was a nice treat over a doctor's office. I signed many consent forms- consent to release documents, conduct evaluations, provide services. . .all documents that I know from the other side. Today was quite the paradigm shift; I was given a copy of parental rights. Just a few months ago, I was giving those rights to other parents. Never once did I imagine that I would being reading those rights as a consumer- not simply a provider.

Hopefully, Miles will be evaluated by an occupational therapist, speech therapist, and special education teacher by next week. And immediately following the observations, we will write an IFSP (Individual Family Service Plan), an IEP for your family. The CDR rep said we will likely being receiving services (OT, speech, ect) on a weekly basis at our house. I will take anything I can get for Miles. I do not want to lose any time; the quicker his educational/ developmental foundations are in place, the better his chances at success are! Early intervention is critical. I am so glad that CDR is in the Williamsburg area. I already getting a good vibe from these folks.

We are meeting with the geneticist tomorrow at CHKD. This is looking like a marathon appointment- 2 hours. I am packing snacks.

No comments: